April 27, 2012

Today I wish I had cable

If I had cable I would be watching an NCIS marathon, or some brainless show on TLC/HGTV, or some movie I had half-forgotten exitsted like Adventures in Babysitting or Princess Diaries. Sigh. Alas, I do not have cable (which is actually a good thing... productiveness goes wayyy down when we have cable). But at least I have Freaks and Geeks on dvd to watch. And a few seasons of NCIS, so all is not lost.

Now you may be asking yourself why I'm talking about cable. Its because I want to kill time... I'm putting something off. Something I reallllllly don't want to do. Today I get to wash an ENTIRE jar of vaseline out of Ellie's hair. Joy oh Joy. Last night we heard Ellie running amock in her bedroom after bedtime, so Scott went up to check. Meanwhile, I was chatting with some friends in the living room. Pretty soon Ellie was downstairs to model her new hair do:


I made Scott go give her a bath, but it didn't even make a dent in that vaseline. By this point it was way past bedtime, so we just put her to bed thinking that at the very least, she'll get an awesome moisturizing treatment for her hair.

So this morning I googled how to get vaseline out of hair. One of the most foolproof ways is to douse your head in liquor. As tempting as that sounds, I'm pretty sure I would win worst mother of the year award for dousing my 2 year old's head with vodka. The next best thing to do is rub cornstarch in your hair, rinse it out and then wash repeatedly with dish soap. Sounds like fun, especially when your toddler hates to have her hair washed in even the best of circumstances. Finally, you can use baby oil to get it out. But baby oil also stains... and that option sounds suuuper messy.

So yeah. That's why I've popped in a caillou dvd for Ellie and am sitting here in front of my computer avoiding the day.

In other news, Ellie started potty training herself this week. I've never really been to excited about this phase of parenthood, so I've been putting it off. And off and off. And this week Ellie just took matters into her own hands and started doing her business on the toilet all by herself. So kudos to Ellie!

And another sidebar for you grandparents who may be reading this post, Ev may have aspirations to become a sumo wrestler... Since I introduced solids a couple of weeks ago, so has already progressed to eating an entire jar of baby food with oatmeal at every meal. And she loves everything she tries. Except bananas... I mean, she'll eat them, but without the gusto she usually displays for squash or prunes.

That is all.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Ellie.... what are we going to do with you? Good thing you're stinkin' cute! Can you tell her to teach Tyler to just willingly go potty by himself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahah! I love that she is modeling her new hair treatment so beautifully in that picture...such heartfelt emotion :) I have been laughing for 5 minutes straight about this (p.s. you are a fabulous writer. Captivating!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness..Oh dear..The joys of childhood..

    ReplyDelete